- Talk to Paarthurnax, or Arngeir, or Esbern
- Talk to Jarl Balgruuf
- Get Greybeards’ help in negotiating a truce
- Talk to General Tullius and Ulfric Stormcloak
- Go back and talk to the Greybeards
- Take your seat at the negotiating table.
- Negotiate the treaty.
When you have defeated Alduin (for now), he will fly off. It is important to know where he has gone. It may be possible to find out from one of Alduin’s minions. Talk to either Paarthurnax, Arngeir, or Esbern to get ideas. You can talk to all three but only one is needed to continue the quest.
They will all tell you that Dragonsreach was once a prison to a dragon. If you speak to Esbern, he will also tell you that he knows who the Greybeards’ master is, and he wants you to kill Paarthurnax for his past crimes. This will start the optional quest Paarthurnax.
Go to Whiterun and talk with the Jarl. Depending on your progress in the civil war, the next part of the mission is handled in a variety of ways:
- If the civil conflict has been settled for either the Legion or the Stormcloaks, the Jarl will allow you permission upon speaking with him.
- If the civil conflict hasn’t been settled for either side, the Jarl will at first be hesitant and tell you he can’t capture a dragon with the ongoing war threatening his hold. You have to get both sides to agree with a truce. He will suggest the Greybeards to host it.
- Should you choose to complete Paarthurnax before the Peace Negotiations, and anger or kill Arngeir, you will have no way of negotiating the truce, but instead have to end the civil war through battle.
Note: It is possible to skip the peace treaty if you complete the Skyrim campaign for either side before speaking to the Jarl.
Travel to High Hrothgar and elicit Arngeir’s help. He will be reluctant but persuade him to agree. He will tell you to go see General Tullius and Ulfric Stormcloak to invite them to High Hrothgar for peace negotiations.
Go to Solitude and Windhelm and speak with the two sides. You may have to persuade them to go with the dragon threat looming. They will agree. Return to High Hrothgar and you will see a small scene with the Blades and the Greybeards. This conversation can be affected by your conversations with Master Arngeir and Esbern in Paarthurnax. Master Arngeir will eventually allow them to sit in on the negotiations, as they have knowledge about the dragon threat. Talk to Arngeir briefly, then go to the Council Room and take your seat.
Once you are seated, the Imperial Side will sit while Ulfric will complain about Elenwen being present, and demand that she leave. You can either kick her out or let her stay, either way Ulfric will take his seat. The negotiations will finally commence, and you can decide who gets what, but allow each side to have at least one thing. They will complain, but eventually agree to the terms.