- Deliver a message to the Jarl of Whiterun.
- Wait for the Jarl’s response.
- Deliver Balgruuf’s axe to Jarl Ulfric.
- Return to Whiterun and warn Jarl Balgruuf.
- Report to Legate Quentin Cipius.
General Tullius will hand you a note, explaining that he needs someone he can trust to deliver it and sets you the task to deliver it to the Jarl of Whiterun.
Travel to Whiterun and then to Dragonsreach, and speak to the Jarl. Give the message to the Jarl, and he will decide it is time to confront Ulfric. He will then give you a message (an axe) to deliver to Ulfric.
Now, travel to the city of Windhelm, and then to the Palace of the Kings. Ulfric tells you to return the axe back to where it came from and to expect a lot of excitement for Whiterun. Return back and talk to the Jarl, who will take back the axe and hand you back to the Legion.
Speak to Legate Quentin Cipius, and he will tell you that the Stormcloaks have arrived and it is battle time.