Dragons are large reptilian creatures that are encountered in Skyrim. Dragons are fearsome opponents in combat and are some of the most dangerous creatures in all of Tamriel. The dragon’s combat abilities and its importance to the plot of Skyrim effectively make them game bosses. There are at least six types of dragons: fire, frost, white-skinned, bronze-skinned, green-skinned dragons and blood dragons. Frost dragons are stronger than fire dragons, while green-skinned dragons are stronger than both white- and bronze-skinned dragons. Blood dragons seem to switch between fire and frost elements.
Skyrim’s dragons come in different types with varying degrees of difficulty.
- Dragon – These are considered to be on the lowest rung, although they can provide a challenge for players early in the game.
- Blood Dragon – These seem to vary in color and appearance. They can breathe both fire and frost and are slightly tougher than the normal “dragons”.
- Green Dragon – These Dragons appear to be green, and have a larger frond on their tails, along with a bony ridge along their foreheads.
- Skeletal Dragon – These are made up entirely of bone with no scales and lack a soul to absorb. They are flightless, and can breathe fire or frost.
- Flame Dragon – These are tougher and more resilient to damage and exclusively breathe fire. Their scales are typically darker in color with a more pronounced reddish tint.
- Frost Dragon – They are the same as flame dragons, although they breathe frost instead . They are typically colored white and grey and have very large, black spikes along their back.
- Elder Dragon – These are golden scaled dragons that are significantly tougher than the previous types, both in melee and breath attacks. They can breathe both fire and frost.
- Ancient Dragon – Aside from Alduin himself, these are the deadliest dragons in Skyrim, capable of breathing either fire or frost. They have copper-colored scales. They also have exceptionally damaging melee attacks making them remarkably deadly both in the air and on the ground.
- Red Dragon – Considered to be the strongest type of dragons. Only two Red Dragons are known: Nafaalilargus, servant of Tiber Septim, and Odahviing, the right hand of Alduin.
- Alduin: The first born of Akatosh, elder brother of Paarthurnax, and self-proclaimed aspect of Akatosh. Also called “The World Eater”.
- Mirmulnir: The first dragon you fight in Skyrim, at the West Watchtower near Whiterun.
- Nahagliiv: Unknown date of death. Buried in a mound west of Rorikstead.
- Odahviing: The right-hand to Alduin, records date by interrogation of captured Dragon Cultists during Crusade. Buried in a mound in the south east of Skyrim, near Riften. After completing the main quest, Odahviing can be summoned by using a Dragon Shout called “Call Dragon”.
- Paarthurnax: The legendary lieutenant of Alduin in the Dragon War. He is now known to lair on the Throat of the World under the protection of the Greybeards of High Hrothgar.
- Sahloknir: You have to fight him during the “A Blade in the Dark” quest. Buried near Kynesgrove.
- Viinturuth: Death dating back to Dragon War era. Buried near Lake Yorgrim.
- Vuljotnaak: Death dating back to Dragon War or just after. Buried in a mound near Granite Hill.
- Vulthuryol: A dragon encountered underground in Blackreach.